As financial services businesses shift to developing markets, the demand for high-quality financial translations continues to increase. From white papers and business plans to profit and loss statements and financial reports, this market needs linguists with specific skills to work in specific industry areas. However, due to its complexity, financial translation is one of the most challenging types of translation today. Financial translators do more than translate content from source documents into the target language. They require expertise and years of experience, as well as a solid understanding of financial terminology and industry-specific concepts, and how they are evolving in this technology-driven world.
Artlangs Translation Company believes that due to the special diversity of financial translation, translators need to focus on specific professions in specific fields in order to achieve high quality standards. The following points of attention can help translators choose the right field for their skills and improve their services in a timely manner.
1. Financial translation requires background knowledge, choose a familiar translation field, and have studied or worked in that specific field. Because expertise and lack of experience is not enough when it comes to having to deal with specific financial terms. Without background knowledge, translators cannot understand source files that contain complex language and specific terminology that are unknown to non-industry professionals.
For financial firms, translation errors can not only damage the institution's credibility, it can also lead to legal issues and penalties. Even well-trained economists end up specializing in one narrow field, so they may lack up-to-date knowledge in many other fields. For example, translators specializing in foreign trade may have difficulty translating income statements and tax reports.
2. It is important for translators to understand their true capabilities and to determine what they can and cannot translate, such as balance sheets, tax reports, regulatory documents or audit reports. Additionally, financial translators should be familiar with the jargon used in the client's industry, especially when it comes to financial transactions. For example, price, cost, and value may seem the same to most people, but they have completely different meanings in the financial world.
3. Translation memory can improve the efficiency of translators. Many financial terms are very new and may not have accurate translations in other languages. These words do not appear in dictionaries and are difficult to translate without understanding the local market. A smart and cost-effective way to meet this challenge is to use translation memories. The tool allows to store all data from previous translation projects and reuse it for similar projects. From this data, financial translators can identify the correct terminology to describe financial products and services that have not yet received a local name.
4. Confidentiality is as important as expertise. In financial translation, linguists often deal with sensitive company data, such as details of products not yet launched in the local market or financial information of customers. Confidentiality is essential for professionals working in the industry to maintain an impeccable reputation.
5. Comply with local regulations, financial translation must be accurate and correct. In a document that can be conclusive, there is no room for error or interpretation. In financial documents, many details can change the overall meaning of the translation, such as number format. In most European countries, the decimal separator is represented by a comma, while in places like Switzerland and Liechtenstein, the decimal separator is represented by a dot, and the thousands separated by an apostrophe. A keen eye for detail and a deep understanding of the local financial environment can avoid translation failures. Translators should maintain close communication with clients when translating to ensure that there is no ambiguity.
The above are the relevant precautions about financial translation services, I hope to be helpful to everyone.
—— Finish ——